In many cases, you can migrate your recurring donation subscriptions to Funraise from another platform. The process will require coordination between us, you, and your external platform.
To get started with a recurring subscription migration, contact your technical engineer at the Funraise Service Desk. We'll help you the entire way.
The process requires two key data sets
- Payment method data (the actual credit card information). Your current payment service will securely share this data with our vaulting partner, Spreedly.
- Subscription details: Information about the supporter, amounts, frequency, payment date, etc. for each subscription.
Recurring subscription migration process
- Contact your payment service to let them know that you want to start the process of migrating your recurring subscriptions. Here are some ready made email templates when migrating from Stripe and WePay. You'll need to provide a list of all the payment methods that need to be exported to your previous payment service.
Previous payment service
- Securely shares payment method data with our vaulting service. Timeframe and cost for this process will vary by payment service.
Funraise vaulting partner (Spreedly)
- Securely receives payment method data from your previous payment service
- Provides tokens representing imported payment methods back to Organization and Funraise. These tokens will be matched with subscription data in step 4.
- Note: Process typically requires at least one week
- Confirm with previous payment service when subscriptions will stop charging in previous environment
- Help match tokenized payment methods to subscription data
- Adjust start date for subscription processing based on organization input
- Finalize import file for organization approval
- Provide final approval for import
- Import final subscription information
- This process can take a few weeks to a few months. It entirely depends on quality of your data and the payment platform you're migrating from
- Timing is important. You'll need to coordinate the cancellation of your existing subscriptions and the import to ensure no payments are missed or duplicated.
- Additional charges may apply if you are migrating subscriptions from multiple sources.
It is possible that there will be some payment methods that will not be successfully imported to the vaulting service. Possible reasons include:
- Payment method/subscription was created after the request for export was sent to previous payment processor
- Data provided by previous payment processor was insufficient to be imported in vaulting service
When a payment method is not successfully imported to vaulting service, it is not possible to import the subscription to Funraise either.
- It is possible that some payment methods are imported with errors, such as invalid expiration date. While it is still possible to import this subscription, the subscription will fail to charge. It may be preferable to exclude such records from the import process, and reach out to those supporters directly to create new subscriptions in Funraise.