Pro Tip: You can resend the Yearly Donation Summary from a Supporter Profile.
The Yearly Donation Summary Email is an automated email that will send to any supporter who donated in the previous year. While you can enter any content in the email, we've designed it specifically to send supporters their tax donation email summaries for the previous year. Automatically!
You'll only have to create this email once - it will send each year before tax season!
GOOD TO KNOW
- As with all automated flows, as soon as you toggle it on, it can begin sending immediately. Only activate this email after you have entered wonderful content and tested your email.
- You MUST enter the appropriate merge tags in order for this email to work properly.
To access the Yearly Donation Summary Email editor, navigate to the Email Campaigns section and click on the Actions Menu > "Edit Email Campaign".
Click the Actions menu > "Edit Email" to begin editing the email template. Remember to test your email before you toggle it on. 👍
If you are new to the email editor, we suggest reading this article to learn the basics.
WHO will receive this email?
- Any donor who has made at least one donation in the previous year.
WHEN will this email send?
- Once the email is activated it, it will immediately gather information and begin to send. It can take up to one week for all the emails to send.
- After the automation sends the first time, it will continue to send out at the beginning of each year, forever!
- You can toggle the email off at anytime, which will stop all emails from sending. Toggling the email back on will enable the automation to pick up where it left off (donors will not receive the same email twice). Be aware that when the email is toggled off, donors are not being added to the send list, so we suggest always leaving this automation ON.
WHAT content should be included in this email?
In order for the email to send a full summary of donations and a total donation amount for the previous year, you'll want to place these merge tags into the email body content:
- *|fr:last_year|* - last year, "2018"
- *|donor:name|* - the full name of the donor (or institution).
- *|donor:last_year_donation_total|* - total donation amount last year, "$250.00"
- *|donor:last_year_donations|* - table of the donor's donations amounts and dates for the previous year.
It's also important to include language verifying the gift was a donation. The text below is an example for US donors:
Federal income tax law requires us to inform you that no goods or services were provided to you in return for your gift. Therefore, within the limits prescribed by law, the full amount of your gift is deductible for federal income tax purposes.
Our Tax ID is (enter your Org ID #).
Be aware - Ensure missing or migrated donors are added to the send list
If this email automation has not been toggled on the entire time during the course of the year or if you migrated donors mid-year, your Success Manager can help you backfill any missing donors from the previous year to ensure these donors receive the email. The deadline to alert your Success Manager that you need to backfill any donors is January 24.
✏️ Example Content!
Thank you so much for being an important part of our impact last year. We couldn't have done it without you! This is your *|fr:last_year|* donation summary, please keep it for your records.
*|fr:last_year|* TOTAL DONATIONS
*|fr:last_year|* DONATION SUMMARY
When sent, the content above would look like this:
Hi John Smith,
Thank you so much for being an important part of our impact last year. We couldn't have done it without you! This is your 2018 donation summary, please keep it for your records.
2018 TOTAL DONATIONS
2016 DONATION SUMMARY
January 19, 2018 $100.00
March 19, 2018 $100.00
September 19, 2018 $100.00
November 19, 2018 $100.00
December 19, 2018 $100.00
Pro Tip: You can also use a merge tag in a subject line!
For example: Your *|fr:last_year|* Donation Summary! (Your 2018 Donation Summary!)
When your content is ready and tested, activate the automation by toggling it on.
That's it! Sit back, relax, and enjoy.