The process for a Historical Data Migration is simple, but takes some patience and data organization on your end. 😃 You can see the cost to migrate historical data here.
1. Download the historical data migration template.
2. Structure your data.
- Structure your data by donations. Enter each donation record you want to see in Funraise. If you have multiple donations from a single donor, include each donation.
- BE PRECISE - We've yet to see a perfect migration template the first try, but we know it's possible! Will YOU be the first? But seriously, this is data that will power your Funraise features so it is crucial that it is entered exactly as the example shows. If you have any questions about structuring your data, don't hesitate to ask!
- Required fields for all donations: Form (ie: giving form). One of either first name or institution name. And at least one of the following three fields: email address, physical address or supporter external id.
- It is not required to provide a value for each column, but you'll want to enter all the information you have. The more data in your platform - the more we can make it dance. 💃
VALID VALUES for each column:
- Transaction ID: Any value, e.g., "Donation-789"
- Transaction Date: MM/DD/YY, e.g., "01/26/17"
- Amount: Numbers, e.g., “$10,000.00”
- Form: Any value, e.g., “General Donations” Form is short for giving form and in future donations will correlate to the name of the online giving form that processed the donation.
- Type: Three possible options: "One Time" "Recurring" "Offline"
- Card Type: Here you can specify the payment method:"VISA" "MASTERCARD" "AMEX" "PAYPAL" "BITCOIN" "CHECK"
- Check Number: Numbers, e.g., "1234"
- Anonymous: "TRUE" "FALSE" (or - leave blank for false)
- Tags: Any value, separated by spaces for new tag (with or without # in front), e.g., “#annualbenefitdonation” “potentialstakeholder”
- Allocation: Any value, e.g., “Kryptonite Reduction Fund”
- Supporter External Id: Any value, e.g., "Supporter-789". Value must be unique for each donor. Use this to manage donors who are also in another system.
- First Name: Any value, e.g., "Clark"
- Last Name: Any value, e.g., "Kent"
- Institution Category: "Individual" "Foundation" "Church" "Corporation" "Government" "Donor Advised Fund" "Other"
- Institution Name: Any value, e.g. “Daily Planet”
- Email: Any value, e.g., "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Gender: Four possible options: “Male” “Female” “Non-Binary” “Prefer Not to Say”
- Phone: Any value, e.g., "123-555-1234"
- Address line 1: Any value, e.g., "344 Clinton Street"
- Address line 2: Any value, e.g., "Apt 3-D"
- City: Any value, e.g., "Metropolis"
- State/Province: Any value, e.g., NY
- Postal Code: Any value, e.g., "10001"
- Country: Any value, e.g., "USA"
- Date of Birth: MM/DD/YY, e.g., “02/29/38”
- Email Opt Out: “OptIn” or “OptOut”
- Notes: Any value, e.g., "Married to Lois Lane. Originally from Smallville, Kansas. Pulitzer Prize winning investigative reporter, columnist and (one-time) Foreign Correspondent for the Daily Planet newspaper. This supporter attended our annual fundraiser and needs follow-up."
- Supporter Tags: Any value, separated by spaces for new tag (with or without # in front), e.g., “#annualfundraiserattendee” “potentialstakeholder”
😎 Cool trick! To migrate a "donor" without any real donations, set the donation amount to "0". This will bring in the donor on that row and will ignore any donation-specific fields. You do not need a value in the "Form" column for this trick.
3. Send us your completed migration template.
Email the the completed .CSV to your Customer Success Manager. It can take 4-8 weeks to review and migrate your data.
- If edits are needed, we will respond with instructions.
- We can wealth screen your donors during the migration process as well, so be sure to let us know if you would like this! We recommend it. There are fees associated with wealth screening, just let us know if you have any questions.